Re: Hildon on MeeGo

Hi,

Dave Neary wrote:
Cornelius Hald wrote:
It looks like people around here are not too interested in Hildon's
future, so it's my last try to get some information - after that I'll
shut up. Promised ;)

I don't know if that's true...

Ok, what I meant is that most people interested in the future of Hidon are Maemo developers and they are mostly not subscribed here. Of course some are here (like you, Alberto, Kimmo, etc...) and that´s already a good sign.

Certainly, Hildon was seen as a Nokia initiative, and wasn't adopted (or
adapted) by the other GNOME-based mobile stacks. I don't know what they
used (if anything) to solve the various problems Hildon solved. Since it
has not been adopted elsewhere, and Nokia are dropping it, the only
people who appear to care what happens to Hildon now are the hundreds of
developers who wrote Hildon applications for Maemo. And most of them are
not around here, I guess.

Exactly. BTW what are other Gnome-based mobile stacks that could have an interest in Hildon? GPE looks quite dead. OLPC has a much bigger screen size. And Openmoko doesn´t look that active as well. Are there others?

That said, it is disappointing that there was essentially no response
from anyone involved in the GTK+ toolkit as to what changes would be
required in GTK+ to allow Hildon to be developed & maintained as a
useful independent project on top of stock GTK+.

I think the problem is, that most Gtk developers don´t know Hildon and the Hildon developers (mostly Igalia) are probably busy with other (new) stuff.

I wish I had to the time to dig into Gtk and Hildon myself :/ Let´s see what we can do.

Cheers,
Conny