Hildon on MeeGo

Hi All!

I'm a simple application developer having one Gtk/Hildon application
available for the Nokia N800, N810 and N900 - so I'll argue from that
perspective.

First of all, I think the question is not how to encourage application
developers on GNOME Mobile. Without any serious platform running GNOME
Mobile we don't need developers for it.

I think, the question is: How do we get Hildon running on MeeGo
handsets? To me that's a purely technical subject and has nothing to do
with politics and other "what might happen in the future" stuff that has
been discussed here.

So what is the best way to solve those technical problems? Why not start
with collecting those problems? Then we can see whether or not there are
people able/willing to do the work. If there are none, we need to buy
them. The good thing is that it's possible because there is some money.

To me, the most important thing is, to get Hildon apps running on MeeGo
as soon as possible. It's not bad if we break the API and it's not bad
if it doesn't completely blend with MeeGo's native UI. The important
thing is to get it running. If we don't get it running, we will loose
almost all current Gtk/Mobile developers plus the only recent hardware
that will run this software.

Again, we should focus on the _technical_ difficulties on bringing
Hildon/Gtk to MeeGo devices, then see how to best solve those problems
and completely forget about other ideas like "motivating new application
developers", etc...

BTW, javispedro (GSOC) is already working on one important aspect of
those technical problems.
http://javispedro.com/blog/2010/05/gsoc2010-gtkim-for-meegoimui.html

Comments are welcome of course :)

Thanks!