Re: Hildon on MeeGo

Alberto Garcia wrote:
On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 10:08:12AM +0200, Cornelius Hald wrote:

I think, the question is: How do we get Hildon running on MeeGo
handsets? To me that's a purely technical subject and has nothing to
do with politics and other "what might happen in the future" stuff
that has been discussed here.

Pre-Maemo5 versions had already been available in Debian and early
versions of Moblin (in fact I had released a Moblin version of the
Vagalume Last.fm client back then[1]). Later versions are also in
Debian[2] (compiling against upstream GTK by the way).

Yes, I remember. At some point I was able to run my Maemo4/Hildon software on Ubuntu.

I think the hardest think is all the HildonStackableWindow stuff,
which on the other hand is very tied to how the Maemo window manager
works.

That probably has to be implemented using Gtk or Clutter directly. It would even be ok, if they are not animated. Also Kimmo on MeeGo-dev said something about "What comes to the sliding window animations, those will be supported in Harmattan at least". Of course we don´t know if Harmattan==MeeGo in this sentence :/

Another difficulty could be the application menu I guess, because it´s also triggered by the window manager.

And then there's all the changes in Maemo-GTK, which should be ported
to the latest version. Although on the other hand it appears that
Meego is not going to switch to GTK 3.0...[3]

Is it possible to install hildon-gtk and gtk on the same machine? If not, this could be a problem. If I understood the MeeGo plans correctly, there will only be plain Gtk available on the netbook image. I don´t know how it will be with the handset image.

If there will be no default Gtk on the handset image (I think so), then it could be even easier. We could skip the porting to a new Gtk version and simply use the one from Maemo5. This would mean that "only" the current Hildon-Gtk and Hildon have to be adapted to use a different window manager, input methods, screen resolution(?), etc.

To me that sound like the fasted approach and I don´t think we need Hildon on netbooks anyways.

Thanks for your input Berto!
Conny