Re: [Fwd: [Announce] Intel and Nokia announce open source telephony project (oFono)]

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Ross Burton <ross openedhand com> wrote:
On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 10:56 +0300, Aki Niemi wrote:
> ti, 2009-05-12 kello 17:55 +0200, ext Nils Faerber kirjoitti:
> > But as an application developer I would like to be able to query the
> > telephony stack for available call sinks and then either automatically
> > choose the most appropiate one or give the user the choice (think of
> > GSM, SIP, Skype, XMPP-VoIP, etc.). I think this is something that FSO
> > has provisioning for.
>
> If that's the sort of thing you're looking for, then I'd suggest looking
> into Telepathy. There is no reason that Telepathy couldn't also
> integrate with oFono in the future.

Agreed.  If FSO has plans to support all methods of voice communicating,
then it is re-inventing the wheel because telepathy has this already.  I
can't see a reason why there can't be a FSO or oFono based connection
manager in Telepathy responsible for setting up GSM calls.

-- Well I don't mine if we can find a better solution than telepathy, specially telepathy for telephony is really a problem. Telepathy is suppose to be unified interface, but to in order to adjust the underlying protocol feature with the telepathy interfaces we need to make lots of hacks, and at some point these interfaces make a simple thing much more complicated, because telepathy developers are keep adding more interfaces to simplify existing interfaces and its just keep on going. I have also realize many time we need to compromise the features because its really difficult to unify it with the other protocols.

The best and realistic solution is having a client/server base architecture, where client is very light weight UI which has integrated telephony support and an interface to server for different other protocols, something like Nimbuzz. In this way we don't need ten's of connection managers for different protocols hanging on client, and making is complicated.

-Br
Naveen

Ross
--