Re: GNOME Mobile release notes

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 13:48 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> > > All these issues should have individual bug reports, of course, but
> > > gnome mobile should be at the center here, cause these issues just
> > > makes gnome unusable on such devices, which is really sad;).
> >
> > I'm sure if there was individual bugs for each of these against the
> > various components that they could have either a mobile tag assigned
> > to them and/or be dependencies of a gnome-mobile tracking bug.
> >

> It is insane to think that "one size" will fit all with the different
> screen sizes, for all values of gnome tools and applications.
>
> Some of these issues are best worked by replacement components optimized
> better for the different situations, than trying to, to use this
> example, hack the infamous gnome panel further.  The panel is probably
> one of these, and for which there are (possibly adequate, possible
> inadequate) alternatives.

yes, for a better mobile/non-mobile support, GNOME components should
implement DBus interfaces, so that they can easily be replaced and used
by any application in any context. This is what the new gnome-session
does, so for mobile, if needed, it could be replaced without any pain by
a better-fitted solution.

The same for the panel, file manager, screensaver (it already does have
a DBus interface, so you just need a drop-in replacement, if patching it
to support both environments is not enough), etc, that way, we wouldn't
need to patch N apps to work on or the other.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>