Re: GNOME Mobile release notes

Dave Neary <bolsh gnome org> writes:

> Are there any suggestions?

I think you need to address the major issues that makes gnome totally
unusable on mobile stations;).

I'm running gnome on the neo freerunner and it's a real real pain. I
can try to list the major deal breakers:

We need a way to pop up a keyboard. This has to work with the panels,
so that they move. Most of the time, there is no available keyboard on
a mobile device.

This also makes a huge problem with gnome screensaver. When I lock my
phone, I cannot access it again without a keyboard. We need a signal
to pop up the keyboard in gnome screensaver. Also, sometimes you don't
want to lock it with a password, you just want to lock the screen, so
that you can f.ex draw a circle or something on the screen to unlock
it. There should also be a way to have a separate password for the
screen saver and not the same as your login password. Maybe you want a
simple numeric PIN to unlock it, but a real password when you start
the device and log in.

It's also problematic having the device in your pocket cause the
screen turns on every time you touch it. A signal from the devices'
buttons could turn on the screen.

Also, there should be an option to immediately lock the screen when
GDM starts up. This is because on a mobile device, it takes some time
for it to boot up and you put it in your pocket. If the screen is not
locked, you risk pressing the buttons on the GDM menu.

Another serious issue is that it's not possible to grab a window and
move it past the upper panel. Even if you hold down meta and drag from
the middle of the window, you can only drag it past the lower panel,
but not the upper. This makes using many desktop applications
impossible.

There should also be an option for gnome panel to only show icons
instead of text. This is not possible for open windows, f.ex. It gets
pretty crowded on small devices.

All these issues should have individual bug reports, of course, but
gnome mobile should be at the center here, cause these issues just
makes gnome unusable on such devices, which is really sad;).

--
Esben Stien is b0ef e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m