Re: Additional issues to address for the constraints_experiments branch?

On 11/14/05, Ray Strode <halfline gmail com> wrote:
> > Could you run "xprop | grep STRUT" and click on one of the panels,
> > then repeat and click on the other panel and give me the output?
>
> The panel that borders the top of the screen gives:
> _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 24, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1023, 0, 0
> _NET_WM_STRUT(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 24, 0
>
> And the panel that is just below it gives:
> _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 51, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1023, 0, 0
> _NET_WM_STRUT(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 51, 0
>
> So there are two separate struts and one is completely in the other.

Cool, thanks.  So, yup, I need to handle overlapping struts.

> > that you really do have overlapping struts (which I assumed wouldn't
> > happen, though to be safe I put that error message in there just in
> > case my assumption was wrong).  If the latter is the case, I need to
> > fix up the relevant routines to handle overlapping struts.
>
> Maybe handling the one strut is completely inside another strut case
> would be good enough?
>
> Although I suppose it's conceivable that if someone had a vertical,
> full-height, auto-hide side panel (from a program other than
> gnome-panel) in addition to a standard horizontal gnome panel that
> things would still be broken.

It shouldn't be too hard to make the change to handle overlapping
struts (after all, I put in the check to see if they were
overlapping), I just need to make the change.  I partially avoided it
out of laziness and wanting to see the edge resistance working as soon
as possible.  I'll try to find some time in the next day or so.

Thanks,
Elijah