Re: Bugzilla instead of RT (was: Membership for Alexander Gabriel - status?)

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Tobias Mueller<muelli cryptobitch de> wrote:
Bruno Boaventura wrote:

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Federico Mena
Quintero<federico novell com> wrote:

(Hmmm, does anyone know why we use RT3 rather than Bugzilla?)

Hey, Federico! I really don't know why, but I always thought about it.

I thought about it too and my first thought was, that it shouldn't be a
problem and make sense to use Bugzilla, because the less infrastructure we
have, the better. It might also save us some time, because we had to deal
with less SPAM.

But: One simple fact is that we send and receive emails a lot. Especially
renewal is done often and via email. Bugzilla is simply not good in
receiving and sending emails back and forth. It's not even good at handling
and tracking messages.
Sure, one could think about not sending email so much and CCing people on a
bug, when information about a new applicant is needed. But you just don't
know and can't change the settings, that somebody might just have set the
"receive emails if I'm CCed on a bug" flag to False.

After I thought about it for a bit longer, I had enough reasons for not
considering Bugzilla as a good alternative; sorry for just providing 1.5
reasons here, I can't remember those atm. But I think they are good enough
already.

Caveat: The following is my understanding as someone who wrote up the
initial live.gnome.org pages when they were revamped.

The flow of tasks for the Membership and Elections Committee lend
itself well to Request Tracker. Each membership related query is a
request and, can be transacted over e-mail along with the chance of
metrics being generated (if at all required). BZ lends itself well to
defect/enhancement tracking. There are some other tools like
IssueTracker etc which do the same but RT3 has been a consistently
widely used tool.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>