Re: Meld 1.7.2 released

1.  I generally do not backport changes from git master unless there's something very broken.  This way, when I say an installer is release ###, it matches what actually was released in ###.  Otherwise, it could get confusing for users reporting Meld bugs.  So you won't find this fix in the 1.7.2 installer, but you will find it in the latest git master installer (since Kai has added a fix to the master branch).
2.  Yes, PyGtkSourceView is included.
3.  I'm aware Patch is available to download.  I've just not looked into what it would take to include in the install yet.  It might be as simple as just dumping the binary in there, I just have to do some experimenting.  Thanks for the link on UAC, I'll keep that in mind.  I've not really used that feature of Meld, can you tell me what doesn't work with my install so I know what to look for in my testing?

-Keegan

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Mark Mikofski <bwanamarko yahoo com> wrote:
>>>   I have been using this setup for a long time now, it is what Christoph

>>  explicitly
>>>   recommends [1], "PyGTK [2] is a wrapper for the GTK+ [3] library.
>
>>  Requires
>>>   the GTK+ 2.22 [4] runtime."
>>
>>  For the record, these are *not* the all-in-one installers. See here:
>>      http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygtk/2.24/
>>
>>>   **And it works _fine_ with meld-1.6.1.** It also works fine with
> Geany. But
>>  the
>>>   version of gtk is old, 2.22, and the corresponding gnome libraries are
> also
>>>   old, so maybe that's the culprit?
>>
>>  Well... sort of. Reading your linked bug, it looks like this bug will
>>  only (?) happen with GTK+ 2.22.x. Earlier versions have the stock icon
>>  for missing, and later versions fixed the lookup crash.
>>
>>>       Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion
> failed:
>>  (retval != NULL)
>>
>>  This looks like we can blame the recent files feature, probably due to
>>  it not being able to find the icon-name "meld" when looking up
>>  recently used files for menu construction. This may be bad mime XML
>>  installation, or something else. However, I don't know what, if
>>  anything, can sensibly be done about this on our end.
>>
>>  cheers,
>>  Kai

Thanks Kai. I'll either stick with the 32-bit version (w/ Keegan's
installer), or just keep using meld-1.6.1 since it works great. Thanks for all
your hard work!

@Keegan
- did you grab the png icon for the version control?
- do you have pygtksourceview included in the installer?
- you can get gnu patch win32 binary from gnuwin here:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm
it is a standalone binary

But unfortunately there is some conflict with UAC on >windows 7; see this:
http://math.nist.gov/oommf/software-patchsets/patch_on_Windows7.html

If you can get the line numbers, syntax highlighting and version control working with meld (any-version) then I will definitely switch to you installer and spread the word.