Re: Meld 1.7.2 released

On 18 April 2013 04:34, Mark Mikofski <bwanamarko yahoo com> wrote:
Hi Kai,

Thanks!

is libintl required? I got this traceback the first time I tried meld-1.7.2:

whoami computer meld-1.7.2/bin
$ ./meld
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "c:/meld/bin/meld", line 98, in <module>
   libintl = cdll.intl
 File
"c:\Python27\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 435, in __getattr__
   dll = self._dlltype(name)
 File "c:\Python27\lib\ctypes\__init__.py", line 365, in __init__
   self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
WindowsError: [Error 126] The specified module could not be found

I have no idea about libintl packaging. I assumed that GTK or PyGTK or
something would include it.

It *is* required for translations to work properly. If anyone knows
about this stuff Windows-side, and can tell me that I can't rely on it
being present, then it's not difficult to reproduce the old try/except
behaviour here. However, given the below problem I'm currently
inclined to think it's an installation issue.

I edited bin/meld (98) to load GNU.Gettext.dll from the x64 GTK runtime and it started then crashed python.
Now it crashes python everytime. I get the following trackeback:

whoami computer meld-1.7.2/bin
$ ./meld
Couldn't bind the translation domain. Some translations won't work.
function 'bindtextdomain' not found

(python.exe:7472): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **:
g_loadable_icon_load: assertion `G_IS_LOADABLE_ICON (icon)' failed
./meld:167: GtkWarning: Could not find the icon 'gtk-file'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
       http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases
 gtk.main()
**
Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed: (retval != NULL)
<snip>

This just looks like a broken install to me. I don't know that we
expect Meld to function without an icon theme installed. I know
~nothing about Windows GTK+ packaging options, but I test with the
PyGtk all-in-one installer, making it pretty much the only 'supported'
option. However, Keegan's installer is high on the list, and may well
be a better option.

cheers,
Kai