Re: Meld 1.7.2 released

On 19 April 2013 10:33, Mark Mikofski <bwanamarko yahoo com> wrote:
<snip>

 2. as I stated in #1, I _am_ using PyGTK/GTK+ all-in-one bundle, but I am
 using the x64 versions - GTK+, version 2.22.1 is from gnome [1] and PyGTK,
 same version, is from Christoph Gohlke [2].
<snip>

I think this is the problem here. The PyGTK all-in-one installers
explicitly don't support x64 versions. In addition, you shouldn't
(AFAIK) be using the binaries from gtk.org. The PyGTK installers
theoretically come with everything you should need, and there may be
some weird issues arising from having both the GTK binaries and the
PyGTK installer binaries on the same system.

cheers,
Kai

I have been using this setup for a long time now, it is what Christoph explicitly
recommends [1], "PyGTK [2] is a wrapper for the GTK+ [3] library. Requires
the GTK+ 2.22 [4] runtime."

For the record, these are *not* the all-in-one installers. See here:
    http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygtk/2.24/

**And it works _fine_ with meld-1.6.1.** It also works fine with Geany. But the
version of gtk is old, 2.22, and the corresponding gnome libraries are also
old, so maybe that's the culprit?

Well... sort of. Reading your linked bug, it looks like this bug will
only (?) happen with GTK+ 2.22.x. Earlier versions have the stock icon
for missing, and later versions fixed the lookup crash.

    Gtk:ERROR:gtkrecentmanager.c:1942:get_icon_fallback: assertion failed: (retval != NULL)

This looks like we can blame the recent files feature, probably due to
it not being able to find the icon-name "meld" when looking up
recently used files for menu construction. This may be bad mime XML
installation, or something else. However, I don't know what, if
anything, can sensibly be done about this on our end.

cheers,
Kai