Re: Automatic 3 way merge for conflicts

On 18 December 2012 00:08, Piotr Piastucki <leech miranda gmail com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 7:50 AM, louis <louis obsidian com au> wrote:
>>
>> One remaining possibility is to compare to BASE instead of MERGED, but for
>> all the above systems when a conflict is encountered, the main file has the
>> merge markers inserted. This means that unless we replace this file with
>> BASE when we start the comparison, we are no longer editing in place, and
>> it's not as helpful.
>

> Hi,
>
> What about opening auto-merge instead of diff for conflicting files then?

Sorry, but I'm pretty opposed to opening auto-merge by default for
conflicts. What I expect to see when I open a conflict is MERGED, not
BASE, and we can't guarantee that the result of our merge will be
anything like MERGED.

Now, having said that, in any situation where we have BASE but not
MERGED for some reason, I think it would be *awesome* to have a
GtkInfoBar-style (MsgArea in Meld) prompt asking whether the user
would like to start an auto-merge.

As an aside (that's even more work), it would be extra awesome to
support diff3-style conflict markers, so that when we get conflicts,
we don't show the useless left/right conflict portions, but show the
ancestor portion of the file in that position.

cheers,
Kai