Re: smbfs: questions and issues

Hello Yury,

On Thu, 5 May 2016 10:35:41 +0200 (CEST) "Yury V. Zaytsev" <yury shurup com> wrote:

On Thu, 5 May 2016, wwp wrote:

I've added a smbfs link to my hotlist, and now I see a bunch of
questions/issues:

Currently, mc's smbfs is currently outdated, insecure and badly broken. At some point, Slava undertook a
rewrite, but it was never finished, and apparently nobody is really interested, so whether it will ever
happen is an open question, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I would much rather recommend you setting up SMBNetFS, which will resolve all the problems you're
mentioning, I believe:

     http://askubuntu.com/a/653913

Hah! If I knew it was outdated.. I've set up smbfs mounts through fstab
and autofs for my user so it's not a problem. I liked the idea to have
it from mc itself, like it does for FTP, and I was tempted by it mostly
in order to avoid cifs mount resistance to hibernation and other hang
outs (I re-discover smbfs after few years, I see it's still as slow and
itchy as it was), but it's not critical at all. I'll have a look at
smbnetfs as well, thanks for the tip!

Regards,

--
wwp