re: disable mouse sort order?

Alan

>> I have nothing good to say about starting MC with the -d option and highly
>> reccomend recompiling. Disabling mouse
>> support will still allow gpm copy/paste functions while not operating in a
>> GUI.
> Why? Does it crash if you remove mouse support or something?

I was describing behaviour of 'MC' (compiled with mouse support) initiated with the 'mc -d' switch.
Removing mouse support at compile-time is my solution.
As I said, this sort of behaviour may now have been repaired in recent versions, but I will never know.
Rebuilding 'MC' is one of the first things I do on a new system.

> And I've never seen the GUI version.

I consider a GUI version one that linked to the 'X' libs, but that's not quite what I meant. I was just refering to using 'MC' from within the GUI, (whether built with or without 'X' support). It was speculation that the bad behaviour I observed may have been somehow avoided in the GUI environment.

>> If you wish to avoid rebuilding MC for the time being, I have found simply
>> rolling the mouse wheel will bring the focus
>> back to whichever window you are hovering over, even over the task-bar,
>> usually without disturbing the cursor.
> I don't have any wheel mice.  I consider them to be an evil invention
> by Microsoft designed to cause repetitive strain disorder.

"Gentlemen, we must protect our phony baloney jobs" (Mel Brooks)
Anything actually functional, useful, or convenient, must go.
If they can't charge for it something must be done without delay.

 ... on an island, somewhere in the Pacific ...
        Paul