Re: Editing a file in CP866 encoding

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 22:52 +0300, Michael Dukelsky wrote:

The server uses this. I access the server from another computer via ssh
using Konsole. I set CP866 encoding in the Konsole settings.

Unfortunately it is not as simple as this as (I guess) for the correct
functioning of the remote access the sshd should be also aware of you
using CP866 in your shell. At least, I was unable to read/write cyrillic
after switching gnome-terminal to CP866 & executing LANG=ru_RU.cp866 on
the server side as the screen was getting trashed by the control
characters on non-ASCII input.

Therefore, my guess is that you have to set ru_RU.cp866 globally
in /etc/sysconfig/i18n and reboot, if you are not using local terminal.

I don't have a suitable server / client to test it, but it should work.

Unfortunately it does not.

I know at least one person using a completely single byte non-ASCII
setup which works for him, so if it is not the issue with your setup,
you must be triggering some very cryptic and unreproducible bug.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev