Re: Editing a file in CP866 encoding

Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:
I've installed mc 4.7.0.1-1.el5 in CentOS 5.4. The internal viewer shows
CP866 files correctly. But the internal editor shows only the lower-case
letters correctly. It shows dots instead of all upper-case letters
except 0xF0. What do I do to see the upper-case letters?

Set up your locale correctly.

I can't reproduce this on CentOS 4:

[root ve-151 ~]# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Thank you, with LANG=en_US.UTF-8 I see everything after pressing Alt-e
and choosing CP866. But why can't I use LANG=ru_RU.CP866? I thought that
with this locale it would be possible to see files in CP866 encoding
without pressing Alt-e.

Best regards,
Michael Dukelsky