Re: Editing a file in CP866 encoding

Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

 But why can't I use LANG=ru_RU.CP866? I thought that
 with this locale it would be possible to see files in CP866 encoding
 without pressing Alt-e.

You can use it as long as you know what you're doing. But since you came
up with such a question I assume that you don't. This locale does not
exist in the standard CentOS distribution:

[zyv servinet ~]$ locale -a | grep CP

and setting LANG without having generated and installed the locale
beforehand will break your locale settings.

If my assumptions are incorrect, bear with me.

I have generated the locale before using it.
[mike fido ~]$ locale -a | grep ru
ru_RU
ru_RU.cp866
ru_RU.ibm866