Re: Editing a file in CP866 encoding

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 20:03 +0300, Michael Dukelsky wrote:

 But why can't I use LANG=ru_RU.CP866? I thought that
 with this locale it would be possible to see files in CP866 encoding
 without pressing Alt-e.

You can use it as long as you know what you're doing. But since you came
up with such a question I assume that you don't. This locale does not
exist in the standard CentOS distribution:

[zyv servinet ~]$ locale -a | grep CP

and setting LANG without having generated and installed the locale
beforehand will break your locale settings.

If my assumptions are incorrect, bear with me.
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev