Re: mc-4.6.1-20060912.patch

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

I do build and test MC not only on linux but also on Solaris and Cygwin and not so often on some other systems too. None of them use gpm.

I'm curious how you are using the mouse on Solaris then...

$ uname -a
SunOS sole 5.10 Generic_118833-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000

I configure MC as following:

...no obvious problems here

But this gives some context:

I an using PuTTY 0.56 as well as rxvt (native Cygwin) to connect to the Solaris host. The mouse events are recognized and processed
as expected,

Perhaps you're using this chunk in src/main.c:

        /* Enable mouse unless explicitly disabled by --nomouse */
        if (use_mouse_p != MOUSE_DISABLED) {
            const char *color_term = getenv ("COLORTERM");
            if (strncmp (termvalue, "rxvt", 4) == 0 ||
                (color_term != NULL && strncmp (color_term, "rxvt", 4) == 0) ||
                strcmp (termvalue, "Eterm") == 0) {
                    use_mouse_p = MOUSE_XTERM_NORMAL_TRACKING;
            } else {
                use_mouse_p = MOUSE_XTERM_BUTTON_EVENT_TRACKING;
            }
        }

That doesn't work with xterm (unless you're setting $COLORTERM in your shell). COLORTERM won't be set by xterm because for instance it excludes dtterm and other terminals that don't do bce. You may notice that I've commented on this in more than one place. If any thought had been given to that issue, perhaps it would have some usefulness. I seem to recall a comment that PuTTY does this also.

Seeing how the use_mouse_p variable is used - saying that it works with
ncurses is something I'm not likely to agree with, since there are too
many counter-examples. If it worked _with_ ncurses rather than trying to work around it, the code would call mousemask(). From man mousemask:

       To make mouse events visible, use the mousemask  function.   This  will
       set  the  mouse events to be reported.  By default, no mouse events are
       reported.  The function will return a mask to  indicate  which  of  the
       specified  mouse events can be reported; on complete failure it returns
       0.  If oldmask is non-NULL, this function fills the indicated  location
       with the previous value of the given window's mouse event mask.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net