Re: [repo rover dkm cz: [repo.or.cz] midnight-commander clone completed]

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 17:01 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Pavel Roskin <proski gnu org> schrieb:
>
> Hi,
>
> > >I really don't see the problem.
> >
> > The problem is that the mirror already existed on that site.  Now we
> > have two mirrors.  It's confusing to the users.  Some may be tracking
> > my mirror now.  Instead of giving you control over the existing
> > mirror, I'll need to ask the site administration to remove my mirror.
> > The users will have to switch to your repository.
>
> Why do you have to close your mirror ? I dont see any reason.
>
> Thousands of OSS projects get mirrored all around the world, even
> without explicit knowledge of the devs, and - as far as I know -
> nobody feels pissed about that. What's the problem ?

I don't want to be responsible for an obsolete repository.

> > I believe it's important that the project developers act as a team
> > and coordinate their actions.
>
> What is there to coordinate on just some dumb unofficial mirror ?

Its name and who is responsible for mirroring.

> > I realize I'm not a team member anymore, but I've been maintaining
> > the mirror for along time.
>
> Wait, you really feel kicked-away, just because your mirror isn't
> the only one anyomore ? Quite strange, IMHO.

There is no need for two mirrors on one site.  The only problem with the
existing mirror was that you didn't control it.  Otherwise, it was
perfectly usable.

> > I spent quite a lot of time mapping CVS authors to the real names,
> > and that mapping is used in your repository.
>
> Right, and you did a great job. You volunteered to do an dirty,
> but important job, nobody else was willing to do. And I don't
> think anyone here won't appreciate that.
>
> So you *are* a valueable member of the team, and I don't see how
> some additional, uninteresting git mirror can change that fact.

Thanks.  I'm unsubscribing from the lists now and I'm not going to
continue this discussion.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin