Re: GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.2-pre1

Hello Pavel,

On Oct 20, 2007, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> Hello Caj,
>
> Friday, October 19, 2007, 10:35:50 PM, you wrote:
>
> > On Oct 19, 2007, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> >> If you have a proper patch....
>
> > OK, but if I may just ask why key bindings are so static in mc, is the
> > code very hard to change so that a user could define his/her own
> > bindings for a large part of the configuration and layout?
>
> > And another question just of curiosity, are the existing patches for
> > these features not good enough for inclusion in the main code?
>
> I don't remember right now the details but usually these patches
> are far for complete or do not fit the rest of the code well.
> I know that there was a patch which adds as shortcut to change
> the current sort mode - I do not remember why it wasn't accepted.
> I'll try to find it in the archives and see what can be done
> about it. There is a patch in savannah too if I am not mistaken.
> Regarding the "show hidden files" key binding - I am not aware
> of patch which does this. If you can point me to such a patch
> I'll gladly review it. In any case I am not going to write new
> code before the 4.6.2 release. I'll review existing patches and
> will fix ugly bugs.

That was just one thing that I had a memory of, but I could be wrong.

Regarding the other request, the "change sort mode more quickly"-thingy,
I'd very much like that in mc and I have noted that a few others have
requested that feature as well.

But, even more, a big improvement would have been to have an overall
change in the way the user could configure his/hers keybindings. To
simply have many many more actions that could be bound to different keys
by the users own wish.

--
Best Regards,
Caj Zell