Re: Makeing the subshell reliable

On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 04:54:18PM +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> I also don't remember having major trouble with the subshell myself
> but then there are enough records in this mailing list and in other
> places which testify that the subshell is causing a lot of confusion.

yes, it simply doesn't always behave exactly intuitively, so it requires
getting used to it.
btw, maybe you want to take a look at kde's konsole. i think it can do
command injection and other magic, so maybe it has some interesting code
- http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/apps/konsole/konsole/ .

> > the second variant would be embedding the real shell prompt into the
> > panels. this could work by presenting the shell a really tiny pty.
>
> Could you elaborate, please ? Do you mean implementing another view
> for the panels that will display the output of the subshell and will
> pass the user input to the subshell ? In short the same behaviour that
> is currently invoked by pressing Ctrl+O ?

yup.

> Shall we keep the prompt in this case ?

i think it would be logical.

> The current code would work well if: [...]
then it would be trivial. the fun would be gone then. :)))

> Reading /proc (if mounted) seems appropriate since it is available on
> most of the popular platforms.

in principle yes, but every system has it's own /proc format, which some
of are binary.

> Of course we could fallback if proc is not available.

makes sense.