Re: Makeing the subshell reliable

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 08:11:55AM +0300, Pavel Tsekov wrote:

> >>The prompt widget or the fact that if the subshell is enabled commands
> >>are executed trough the subshell ? Don't get me wrong - I want to keep
> >>the prompt widget. What I propose is to handle commands typed at it
> >>just as if the subshell is disabled. I cannot see how commands typed
> >>at the prompt and executed trough the subshell give MC an advantage
> >>over the other file managers.
> >>
> >the fact that i can switch the panels on and off at any time - without
> >losing the command's output.
>
> Even without the subshell the command output doesn't get lost - just try
> it. It is taken care of.

you snipped way too much of my quote. ;-P
without the subshell i can't operate mc while the command is executed, i
can't use the shell's much better completion, history and line editing,
aliases & shell functions and whatever cool features a modern unix shell
offers, and i can't execute a series of commands without switching off
the panels after each command to verify the result (and don't suggest me
the "pause after run" option - it's getting on my nerves very fast).
point is, i tried several other managers (mostly shiny kde programs,
because they have a much better vfs than mc), and always went back to
mc, because the real shell is right at my fingertips and it's sort-of
integrated with the panels (even if it's only one-way, but alt-enter,
alt-a & ctrl-shift-j are priceless).