Re: Makeing the subshell reliable

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

The shell prompt string itself.

ok. maybe it would make sense to implement an own bash-compatible PS1
interpreter. trying to make sense of almost arbitrary program output
sort of has to fail.

Maybe we can even borrow the code directly from bash (or some other shell)
and embed it into MC.

  * execution of commands typed at MC's prompt widget trough the
    subshell

read my lips: NO WAY IN HELL. ;)
this is one of the few actual selling points of mc over all the other

The prompt widget or the fact that if the subshell is enabled commands
are executed trough the subshell ? Don't get me wrong - I want to keep
the prompt widget. What I propose is to handle commands typed at it
just as if the subshell is disabled. I cannot see how commands typed
at the prompt and executed trough the subshell give MC an advantage
over the other file managers.

the fact that i can switch the panels on and off at any time - without
losing the command's output.

Even without the subshell the command output doesn't get lost - just try it. It is taken care of.

The problem that I was debugging - it was related to this feature. In
short: [...]

yes, i remember that discussion pretty well. it's, indeed, no simple
problem.

Well, a fix was checked in which was supposed to fix the issue - that
was almost 4 year ago. Some years laters a variation of the same bug hits
again...