Re: Release procedure

Hi guys,

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 23:23, Roland Illig wrote:
> Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> >     But I got the feeling that we could go back to bi-weekly releases,
> > so with a quick release schedule, translators just need to make sure
> > they can catch the next train if their translations are not available.
>
> bi-weekly releases? You're kidding, aren't you? I think this would be
> too much work for us. What about bi-monthly?

What about twice a year (max)? We don't need to show we are a fast
rolling project all of a sudden. We just need to have an occasional
release so the developers know what they are working for.

> There are many big projects waiting to be addressed, like extended
> character support, a uniform and simple pathname scheme. These projects
> will take much more time than two weeks to be finished.

Right. Let's focus on targets and let the release depend on whether
these targets are met. As I've stated before I don't care for release
schedules for this project. I care for actual improvements and am quite
willing to schedule the releases around this.

We should define some targets for the next release, work on these, have
a pre release and give translators some time to catch up, then do a
release. If this happens within a year from the upcoming release I am
quite happy.

Leonard.