Re: getting www.gnome3.org

On 01/10/2011 11:17 AM, Allan Day wrote:
Andreas Nilsson wrote:
On 01/04/2011 09:11 PM, Stormy Peters wrote:
We do have gnome3.org and we worked on it at the last marketing
hackfest. At that time, it was really close to launching ...
http://www.andreasn.se/diverse/temp/gnome3.org/

 * GNOME Shell != GNOME 3. Visually, it's the font, wallpaper, etc, and
there are all the application improvements too. Do we want to include
instructions for just trying GNOME Shell on this page, or for trying the
whole thing? If we go for the former, we should include a statement that
explains the relationship of GNOME Shell to GNOME 3.
As "the whole thing" is a bit more complex, I would go with the statement instead. For now.
 * How up-to-date is the software made available through the channels
listed on this page? Do we need to do some quality control to ensure
that the recommended methods are reasonably up-to-date?
I can confirm that the Ubuntu PPA packages seems pretty up to date.
I also want to put the usb stick image here as soon as Frederic Crozat is done with them (seems to be blocking on that all his builds are failing right now).
 * The experience these previews provide is going to be sub-standard
compared with the final 3.0 release, and we need to indicate that to
users (in big big letters). Instead of 'Try it now', something like
'Test the alpha' or 'Technology previews' could work. And we need a big
'Alpha Version' or 'Preview Versions' sticker on the page [1], plus some
text [2] which explains the quality issue.
Done!
Feel free to tweak the texts in the git repo [1].
1. http://gitorious.org/gnome-design/gnome-design/trees/master/www/gnome3.org
- Andreas