Re: getting www.gnome3.org

Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> On 01/10/2011 11:17 AM, Allan Day wrote:
> > Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> > > http://www.andreasn.se/diverse/temp/gnome3.org/
> >
> >  * GNOME Shell != GNOME 3. Visually, it's the font, wallpaper, etc, and
> > there are all the application improvements too. Do we want to include
> > instructions for just trying GNOME Shell on this page, or for trying the
> > whole thing? If we go for the former, we should include a statement that
> > explains the relationship of GNOME Shell to GNOME 3.
> As "the whole thing" is a bit more complex, I would go with the
> statement instead. For now.

Having done a bit of research into this yesterday, I'm inclined to agree
with you. We don't seem to be at the stage where testing a complete and
reasonably up-to-date version of GNOME 3 is anywhere near trivial.

I'll write some explanatory text for the try it page today.

> > * How up-to-date is the software made available through the channels
> > listed on this page? Do we need to do some quality control to ensure
> > that the recommended methods are reasonably up-to-date?
> I can confirm that the Ubuntu PPA packages seems pretty up to date.

Which PPA is that? This one [1], or this one [2]? Did you test it
yourself? It would be great to hear from anyone who does have experience
of using either of these PPAs...

> I also want to put the usb stick image here as soon as Frederic Crozat
> is done with them (seems to be blocking on that all his builds are
> failing right now).

It would be amazing to have that...

> > * The experience these previews provide is going to be sub-standard
> > compared with the final 3.0 release, and we need to indicate that to
> > users (in big big letters). Instead of 'Try it now', something like
> > 'Test the alpha' or 'Technology previews' could work. And we need a big
> > 'Alpha Version' or 'Preview Versions' sticker on the page [1], plus some
> > text [2] which explains the quality issue.
> Done!

You're a legend, Andreas!

> Feel free to tweak the texts in the git repo [1].

Don't worry: I will. :)

Allan

[1] https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/testing
[2] https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/gnome3/+packages