Re: getting www.gnome3.org

Hi,

Allan Day wrote:
>  * GNOME Shell != GNOME 3. Visually, it's the font, wallpaper, etc, and
> there are all the application improvements too. Do we want to include
> instructions for just trying GNOME Shell on this page, or for trying the
> whole thing? If we go for the former, we should include a statement that
> explains the relationship of GNOME Shell to GNOME 3.

I'd like to try the whole thing. Ideally, I would love to be able to use
GNOME 2.91.x right now (and I think we should be encouraging as many
people on d-d-l who aren't already dogfooding to do so before the GNOME
3 release).

I haven't figured out any way to do this with 2.91.3 on Ubuntu, apart
from jhbuild (and I'd like to go through the package manager if I can).

>  * The experience these previews provide is going to be sub-standard
> compared with the final 3.0 release, and we need to indicate that to
> users (in big big letters). Instead of 'Try it now', something like
> 'Test the alpha' or 'Technology previews' could work. And we need a big
> 'Alpha Version' or 'Preview Versions' sticker on the page [1], plus some
> text [2] which explains the quality issue.

We discussed this on IRC a few days ago - I agree with Allan. We want to
get people using it, because that will dispell some of the FUD around
GNOME 3, whether hardware is compatible or not, etc. We should also
document (discretely ;) rollback instructions for returning to GNOME 2
if things don't work out.

Cheers,
Dave.

--