Re: getting www.gnome3.org

Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> On 01/04/2011 09:11 PM, Stormy Peters wrote:
> > We do have gnome3.org and we worked on it at the last marketing
> > hackfest. At that time, it was really close to launching ...
> http://www.andreasn.se/diverse/temp/gnome3.org/
> This design is a bit different from the one I did at the Marketing
> Hackfest in Spain, but it has basically the same stuff + some new
> content that Allan recently put together.
> No videos for now, since we don't have any ready, but a bunch of
> screenshots, some info, a faq and ways to try it. We can add more
> stuff, or refocus the page if needed later.
> Should be pretty ready to launch.
> - Andreas

Thanks for all your work on this, Andreas. The site is looking really
nice.

One topic that I think we need to discuss is the getit.html page [1]
since, from a marketing perspective, we need to be very careful how we
present this. I can think of a few issues here:

 * GNOME Shell != GNOME 3. Visually, it's the font, wallpaper, etc, and
there are all the application improvements too. Do we want to include
instructions for just trying GNOME Shell on this page, or for trying the
whole thing? If we go for the former, we should include a statement that
explains the relationship of GNOME Shell to GNOME 3.

 * How up-to-date is the software made available through the channels
listed on this page? Do we need to do some quality control to ensure
that the recommended methods are reasonably up-to-date?

 * The experience these previews provide is going to be sub-standard
compared with the final 3.0 release, and we need to indicate that to
users (in big big letters). Instead of 'Try it now', something like
'Test the alpha' or 'Technology previews' could work. And we need a big
'Alpha Version' or 'Preview Versions' sticker on the page [1], plus some
text [2] which explains the quality issue.

Best,

Allan

[1] http://www.andreasn.se/diverse/temp/gnome3.org/getit.html

[2] What about: 'GNOME 3 is under active development and will not be
completed until March 2010. If you are interested in what it will look
like, want to help with testing, or just cannot wait to give it a go,
you can use one of the following methods to try a preview version.
Please be aware that these previews will not provide as good an
experience as the completed version of GNOME 3, however.'?
--
Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/
IRC: aday on irc.gnome.org