Re: bad press in the G+ circles/press

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jzb zonker net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
>> I'm not saying other Gnome people, but rather other Gnome users are not
>> chiming in and supporting it.
>
> That might tell you something right there.
>
> GNOME 3.0 might be awesome[ ]sauce for new users, but it doesn't seem to
> be striking a chord with existing GNOME users. So, what seems to be
> happening here is trading an established user base for a potential
> user base - with very little muscle to reach the potential user base.

I can expect that long-time users of GNOME 2 would be reluctant to
migrate to GNOME 3.
It's probably like trying to move between the awesome emacs to the
awesome vim (or the other way round).
There are people who are proficient in one, and they have no clue on
how to use the other.

Some more marketing ideas, having more people stating that they love
GNOME 3 (as Sriram mentions) will help.

For the Linus I would consider that he would probably be better off
with a window manager such as 'awesome',
http://awesome.naquadah.org/ which is ideal for programming and no
distractions.
I would dare to suggest to take advantage of the comments of Linus,
with a marketing line like
"Can you outperform Linus? Try GNOME 3!"
"GNOME 3: Go where Linus backed off"
"*I* can learn new tricks, GNOME 3"

Simos