Re: Campaign Proposal

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 10:43 -0600, Brian Cameron wrote:
> Nelson:
>
> Coming up with a good campaign requires a lot of discussion, and
> takes time to develop properly.  It is tricky to get the associations
> right on.
>
> I do think that there is general agreement that associating GNOME with
> a positive and humanitarian cause is a good idea.  Also, who does not
> like fuzzy animals.
>
> As I suggested before, why don't we pick animals that have recovered
> from being extinct, such as the bald eagle, the grizzly bear, the
> gray wolf, the green sea turtle, or the Florida panther?
>
> This brings attention to the humanitarian issue and the danger of
> animals becoming extinct, but focuses on growth, solution, and
> the positive.  This could hopefully create the association that
> likewise GNOME is a positive solution to a problem (like freedom
> becoming extinct).

I certainly understand how highlighting recovered species
might reflect more positively on Gnome, but it seems to me
to be more "take" than "give".  One of the appealing things
(to me) about Nelson's proposal was that we could highlight
a cause that needs support.

And from a more self-serving perspective, a cause that needs
support is more likely to rub our backs when we highlight it.

I'm totally in favor of Gnome 3.0, the "Spider Monkey" release.
I have never in my life witnessed the Gnome community pass up
a chance to name something after a primate. ;-)

--
Shaun