Re: Marketing Materials in git

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 16:27 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> > More pain on our side, less pain on the side of the contributors who
> > aren't developer tool friendly.
>
> Yes and no... one more account to create, or moderation request to wait
> for - one more bottleneck to get through before you're productive. For
> reference, see how long it has taken some of the members of the
> marketing team to go from volunteering to help maintain the web pages to
> actually getting access to the resources (in one case, there's still a
> request in a queue somewhere awaiting an SSH key).
>
> > You outlined 6 steps that a new
> > contributor would go through in order to participate.
>
> Well, really the 6 steps contains 2 really important ones - getting git
> & getting the marketing resources. As I said, it's a cheat sheet - the
> other commands you only need from time to time, and the git problem is
> memorising everything.

 Those using a POSIX compliant system like Linux or *BSD would probably
manage to run a local depot and a simple crontab script to update it
every X minutes if needed.

  Eventually there are also GNOME/GTK clients for git which would cut
much of the command line pressure for some people.

  And eventually, we could make a proposal of a GNOME project to the
developers list to create a more robust GUI git client, which would not
only serve us, but the entire community and we could integrate it easily
with GNOME and make a part of it.

  I would recon that most people see Marketing as a sales force, which
is actually not correct. Marketing goes far beyond that idea. When
people are sick, they go to the doctors. When an organization is sick,
they turn to Marketing, which is actually a set of tools and processes
that allow you diagnose and treat the "illness".

  Just as a curiosity, how would GNOME developers see a Marketing
Developing Plan for a new application? Would they be cool enough to
follow a roadmap and a script or would just they see it as an attack of
the bureaucrats ?

  Nelson