Re: Marketing Materials in git

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 18:26 -0600, Paul Cutler wrote:
> Hi Marketing Team!
>
> One of the topics I'd like to discuss in Saturday's team meeting is:
>
> Do we want to use GNOME's git repository for marketing materials?

 I would assume that having a repository for marketing materials is a
great achievement by itself. This is a great step to improve
communication and productivity.

 About git itself, it's a powerful tool, maybe too powerful for some of
us. It's easy to use, allows us to make a normal repository locally and
eventually for those who would like to use graphical tools, there are
available for GNOME.
 Eventually those who use Linux can setup a couple of easy crontab
scripts to run at one's flavour and keep the local repository mirror
updated.

 For me, it's a sane choice, though I would recon that maybe for most
people it's way too powerful.

 Someone mentioned google docs. That's a neat tool and it's quite good
aswell, though I would be considering Google's privacy policy which
isn't exactly better than Microsoft or other "evil" companies.

 As a user I would probably consider this the most important points:

 1. Easy of access
 2. Indexing
 3. Version control, which can be actually easier to control is there is
a maintainer for each. This would be easily achieved if the submitter
maintained their own docs (even if we use a note to keep track of
version).

  About formats, I would acknowledge that most people will be using
OpenOffice and other open software, so it really should be easy.

   Any option you guys decide is good for me. I do have internet
availability 24 hours per day, so I really don't care which system we
use.

   Someone spoke in another email about access and stuff. This is not
something that is marketing related, but OpenLDAP can actually provide a
good platform to maintain lots of different systems/platforms/appliances
for authentication, and it's quite stable and trustable, allows
replication and easy to install/manage.

   -- my 2 cents

   Nelson.