Re: Request for comment (marketing team): release date for GNOME 3.0

Hi Marketing team!

Jason, thanks for adding your thoughts.  I'd love to hear what other Marketing team members have to say as well.  We've talked a bit on the mailing list about some GNOME 3.0 marketing campaign ideas, but I think we'd need more time to develop them and get the materials, including video ideas that both Sri and Jason have talked about.

My biggest concern about GNOME 3.0 is change - change is hard and my personal goal for the Marketing team would be to have well thought out ideas and materials that communicate the benefits of GNOME 3.0 to end users and introduce the new ideas in GNOME 3.0 to users months before the actual release, and I don't think we're ready to do that with a March release.

Add your ideas and thoughts!

Paul

Personally, I'd recommend September and 2.32 to become 3.0.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Jason D. Clinton <me jasonclinton com> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
Le mardi 03 novembre 2009, à 11:02 -0600, Jason D. Clinton a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
>
> > The release team is gathering comments from various teams to get a
> > proper idea of which of March or September 2010 is more appropriate for
> > the release of GNOME 3.0. The decision for the release date is following
> > what we set in the 3.0 planning document [1]: we want 3.0 to be out in
> > 2010, but we also want to make sure that 3.0 is rock-solid; your input
> > will help us take an informed decision.
> >
> > It'd be great if someone could summarize the status of the work that is
> > being done in your team, and how March or September would work for you.
> > We know the marketing team has a plan, so we want the timing to be good
> > for this plan too.
> >

> Vincent, we are having a hackfest next week in which we will all talk about
> this so I would like to defer this discussion until after that hackfest in
> Chicago.

Yeah, I know, but the timing isn't really good for us, unfortunately :/
We'd prefer to have some good data this week. If you think it's not
possible to give any input before the hackfest, that's fine, just tell
us this :-)

I *really* want to produce 20-30 second these-are-the-cool-things-you-can-do-with-a-fully-integrated-desktop videos that are distributed with GNOME 3.0 and promoted via YouTube. For that to happen, we need the Shell in a semi-final UI state, a number of Telepathy-related things on the horizon to be demo-able and whatever is going to happen with Zeitgeist/Journal/Tracker/Nautilus to be resolved. In short, I think that Sprint 2011 is a more realistic time frame for a truly polished, well marketed release. However, with enough hustle and and some vocal leadership, I think we can make September 2010 work.

As a side note, it appears to me from closely following the Red Hat 3D driver development that a really polished 3D driver experience sans crashers, without regressions and great performance is likely at least that far away.