Re: Request for comment (marketing team): release date for GNOME 3.0

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
Le mardi 03 novembre 2009, à 11:02 -0600, Jason D. Clinton a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
>
> > The release team is gathering comments from various teams to get a
> > proper idea of which of March or September 2010 is more appropriate for
> > the release of GNOME 3.0. The decision for the release date is following
> > what we set in the 3.0 planning document [1]: we want 3.0 to be out in
> > 2010, but we also want to make sure that 3.0 is rock-solid; your input
> > will help us take an informed decision.
> >
> > It'd be great if someone could summarize the status of the work that is
> > being done in your team, and how March or September would work for you.
> > We know the marketing team has a plan, so we want the timing to be good
> > for this plan too.
> >

> Vincent, we are having a hackfest next week in which we will all talk about
> this so I would like to defer this discussion until after that hackfest in
> Chicago.

Yeah, I know, but the timing isn't really good for us, unfortunately :/
We'd prefer to have some good data this week. If you think it's not
possible to give any input before the hackfest, that's fine, just tell
us this :-)

I *really* want to produce 20-30 second these-are-the-cool-things-you-can-do-with-a-fully-integrated-desktop videos that are distributed with GNOME 3.0 and promoted via YouTube. For that to happen, we need the Shell in a semi-final UI state, a number of Telepathy-related things on the horizon to be demo-able and whatever is going to happen with Zeitgeist/Journal/Tracker/Nautilus to be resolved. In short, I think that Sprint 2011 is a more realistic time frame for a truly polished, well marketed release. However, with enough hustle and and some vocal leadership, I think we can make September 2010 work.

As a side note, it appears to me from closely following the Red Hat 3D driver development that a really polished 3D driver experience sans crashers, without regressions and great performance is likely at least that far away.