Re: GNOME 3.0 Marketing Brainstorming #1 - Audiences

So I've been thinking about the Linux distributions use of GNOME, GNOME Mobile and products like Moblin and Sugar, and I think it would help if we categorized or thought of them differently.

There are products that take GNOME pretty much as is and use it, perhaps most of the traditional Linux distributions fall into this category.

But then there are a whole new type of distribution, products like Moblin, Maemo and Sugar that are doing something else. Maybe we think of them as GNOME products primarily because they use GTK+ but they also use other parts as appropriate, but in the end, it doesn't look like GNOME necessarily. I think we need a new category for these folks and we need to think about them and how best to help them and work with them.

Also, on the page you have two products. I think we have many more than that. We have all the apps that are products. And you could argue that GNOME Mobile isn't really a product but a set of products that people pick and choose from, creating more of the Moblin/Maemo type distributor than a product distributor.

Stormy