Re: GNOME 3.0 Marketing Brainstorming #1 - Audiences

I'll grab the easy one:  Users

So far we have:

* Users
* Linux distributions
* Media
* Developers

Who else comes to mind?

Paul

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Paul Cutler <pcutler foresightlinux org> wrote:
Luis, this is perfect, thanks for kicking it off!

Paul

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org> wrote:
On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Paul Cutler <pcutler foresightlinux org> wrote:
> Hello marketing team!
>
> As we think about GNOME 3.0, who are our target audiences?  (Who should the
> marketing team be bulding messages for?)

I know I've written on this before, but I can't find it. :(

Because I'm short on time, some important audiences that we have
tended to forget at times in our marketing:

* Distros: the reality is that they make the default choice that
determines what most of our users see. If we don't sell them on 3.x,
our users will continue to use 2.x, as simple as that.

* Linux Media: the various and sundry Linux media have a big say in
what people perceive as 'the' Linux Desktop. Sadly, this is a fairly
dysfunctional media, so telling them 'here is why Real People are
going to be sold on 3.0' is a sometimes, but not always, effective
technique.

* Developers: they need to know why they should integrate with GNOME
technologies, and particularly with whatever new ones we come up with.
We need them to buy into it to build our ecosystem.

Sorry I can't be more verbose-
Luis