Re: GNOME 3.0 Marketing Brainstorming #1 - Audiences

Hi,

Brian Cameron wrote:
> users who speak languages
> that are translated in free software but not proprietary software
> (typically 3rd world languages);

Some cases in point here:

Bhutan: http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1239885333;fp;2;fpid;1

Mongolia: http://www.openmn.org/

Telugu: http://www.swecha.org/

Irish: http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/ga

Several Spanish regional languages are very well supported in GNOME:
Catalan: http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/ca
Basque: http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/eu
Galician: http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/gl

Both Norwegian languages in common usage are supported too:
Norwegial Bokmal: http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/nb
Norwegian Nynorsk: http://l10n.gnome.org/teams/nn

Indian languages which are very well supported include Marathi,
Gujarati, Tamil, Punjabi, Hindi, Telugu, Oriya, Bengali, Assamese

> I think that highlighting this humanitarian audience helps to make
> GNOME more compelling to people.  Many people prefer to be thought of
> as humans rather than users of technology, and the GNOME platform is
> well poised to highlight its real human benefits.

I agree - it's not enough to say "GNOME is localised in Assamese", you
need to give a human angle: how many Assamese speakers are there? Where
are they? Have they been ignored by Microsoft? What projects were
enabled by the project? What was the human impact of the projects? etc.

In the case of the Dzongkha Linux project, this is really easy to
demonstrate. It would be cool to see if there are similar projects in
Africa, there is a dearth of African localisations on the GNOME Damned
Lies page.

Cheers,
Dave.

--