Re: New Website layout

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 17:06 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Murray Cumming wrote:

> >> I think some things need to be done now.
> >
> > No, you can wait for a week.
>
> It feels like I've picked up the phone in the middle of a conversation
> here...
>
> For those of us not on the web list, can we have some idea what's been
> happening with the website infrastructure for the past couple of years,
> please?

My mail to marketing list in August:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2008-August/msg00022.html
(a bad email subject though)

My mail to gnome-web-list today, because Stormy requested details:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-web-list/2008-September/msg00040.html

> I always understood that we were adopting a two-pronged approach -
> infrastructure and content - which would allow us to modify content on a
> day to day basis without waiting for an infrastructure deployment, but
> that the infrastructure deployment might require some substantial
> redesign of content layout etc.

It's not wise to avoid small improvements while waiting. It is unwise to
discard all the discussion and work that has gone into the new structure
and content. That discussion was the most productive time that we've
ever had on the web and marketing lists, actually bringing many
contributors together.

Again, this all gets simpler anyway soon when we either move ahead with,
or abandon, the Plone system.

> So - what's been happening, please, and what's Thilo been doing in
> live.gnome.org that's got your wick up, Murray?

I just wanted an answer to the question. The new GnomeWeb/www.gnome.org
page seemed useless and confused to me and you seem to be the intended
target audience/user of it.

I have already corrected other changes from Thilo on the GnomeWeb wiki
page, while updating it slightly.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com