Re: Revamping Friends of GNOME: help with web page text

Andreas:

I really like the photo of the one-laptop-per-child program and
the text.  I don't know how much room you have in the caption, but
it would be better to highlight the following:

- GNOME is free, which makes it the perfect desktop choice for
  humanitarian efforts, such as the one-laptop-per-child program
  which require an affordable desktop.
- The fact that GNOME is accessible, and also provides an affordable
  desktop for people with a wide range of disabilities, and is
  Section 508 compliant.
- Would also be good to have a link to the OLPC website, so people
  can read more.  I'd just make the OLPC reference a link.
- The fact that GNOME is translated into 3rd world languages, and
  that supporting GNOME supports technologies that help to bring the 3rd
  world better access to the information age.

I think this should be highlighted in the "A Free And Open Source
Desktop For Everyone" section rather than just being a caption for
an image, though.  I think the above facts are important to highlight
since it makes the humanitarian angle of wanting donations more clear
and should be highlighted in a very visible way on the front page.

On page 3 I would say that it "Supports accessibility for users with
limited mobility, paralysis, blindness, vision problems such as
color blindness or low vision.  It is a Section 508 compliant desktop."
rather than just saying "Supports accessibility"

I would say "into many of the world's 3rd languages" rather than listing
a number.  You might also highlight that GNU-Linux based operating
systems support the widest range of 3rd world languages available.

A stupid grammar issue you can ignore if you want...

You say "During 2008 the GNOME Foundation was able to help do lots of
great things by:" Then each paragraph beings with past-tense words like
"participated", "ran", or "held".  The first word should be a word that
makes sense if you put the word "by" in front of it, so the first word
of each paragraph should be "participating", "running", "holding",
"planning".  This seems like it would read better to me.

Or you could just update the header to say "During 2008 the
GNOME Foundation was able to help do lots of great things by
doing the following:"  With this type of header, the first words
of the paragraphs below would be correct as they are.  Though
"Planned the first GNOME event in Asia" would be more consistent
with the other paragraphs if you were to go this route.

Brian

Andreas Nilsson wrote:
Stormy Peters wrote:
Thoughts? Anyone willing to help with the web page?
Kalle Persson and myself want to look into the design of this during the weekend.
Hi!
Here are the designs Kalle and I did:
http://www.andreasn.se/diverse/temp/friends-of-gnome/fog-page1.png
http://www.andreasn.se/diverse/temp/friends-of-gnome/fog-page2.png
http://www.andreasn.se/diverse/temp/friends-of-gnome/fog-page3.png

We were uncertain about some details, such as if it was only the "Adopt a Hacker" level that was monthly, plus some other stuff that I can't remember right now (do you Kalle?). As the hippies we are, we also took the liberty to not follow the specification specifically. ;) Hrm, no, seriously, we mostly rearranged some stuff and we hope it came out for the better.

There is also a svg with all the elements in it here if anyone wants to modify it: http://www.andreasn.se/diverse/temp/friends-of-gnome/friends-of-gnome-design.svg

We can fix the html and css for this unless someone else eagerly wants to do it (I recall some e-mail about this, but I can't seem to find it now). Not sure what's easiest.
- Andreas