Re: [Fwd: GnomeWeb 2.18 goals]

2006/10/23, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org>:

> Surely a completely different domain is even worse than a subdomain?

The content already exists there, working URLs, etc. Why move it?

I think a very strong argument pro keeping a website not beeing a
subsite of .gnome.org is that people already have their bookmarks and
are used to specific URLs. So I think every site that does exist
should have good arguments why to move.
I think one problem that we might get with wiki pages like that is
that somebody writes something down and not everybody is questioning
lists because some people think these are results beeing discussed
already - there we come back to the problem of parallel channels. I
think it is important if you add content to a page that you tell why
this is listed. My impression was that these things were already
discussed but now my impression is that this list does no represent
the discussion about these topics. So somehow discussion and the list
seemed to have gotten out of sync? Well this should never happen,
because this will lead to serious problems when people are relying on
the wikis content.

Personally I would like to suggest to discuss some issues on the wikis
primarily - and if some results of a discussion are added that then
this is mentioned explicitly (best with source like email-url in
mailing list)

If we do not do things that way or similar this will lead to more
different layers of knowledge and understanding: Some people are then
working out of the context of the wiki and others relate to mailing
list discussion.

I also want to suggest to eliminate most mailing lists that GNOME is
using now. I think most have very low traffic and its much more work
to read ALL mails of some small projects to know the status of a
project than to just open a wiki page and see the last status. I
suggest we make a page that reviews the need for every mailing list. I
do not vote agains mailing lists as a way of announcing changes, but I
think that GNOME should not provide so much ressources. Every
important information should also be present in the wiki. I think its
just plain stupid that one has to subscribe and follow dozens of
mailing lists and ALSO the wiki. We must condense and refine
information and discussion. The thing a wiki can do is that you have
one page where things are discussed and you always have the newest
status instead of reading, understanding and interpreting dozends of
lists. A wiki page should be a compromise and always reflect the real
status. A mail in a mailing list alwayss can reflect the expression of
one person and it is not transparent for outsiders if this mail is of
any importants.

I really think we need to take action now and move forward, because we
seem to be getting first troubles in not having raised and handled
those issues. We need more transparency!

Thilo

--
Blog: http://vinci.wordpress.com
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tpfennig