Channel interference (was GnomeWeb 2.18 goals)

--- Thilo Pfennig <tpfennig gmail com> wrote:
> there we come back to the problem of
> parallel channels. I
> think it is important if you add content to a page
> that you tell why
> this is listed. My impression was that these things
> were already
> discussed but now my impression is that this list
> does no represent
> the discussion about these topics. So somehow
> discussion and the list
> seemed to have gotten out of sync? Well this should
> never happen,
> because this will lead to serious problems when
> people are relying on
> the wikis content.
>
> Personally I would like to suggest to discuss some
> issues on the wikis
> primarily - and if some results of a discussion are
> added that then
> this is mentioned explicitly (best with source like
> email-url in
> mailing list)

We've been mostly using this list for announcements,
calls for help, and requests for comments when the
wiki seems quiet.
So it's a sort of meta-channel.

> just plain stupid that one has to subscribe and
> follow dozens of
> mailing lists and ALSO the wiki.

Each time I work on a new set of docs, I have to go
and subscribe to yet another mailing list & get more
crud in my mailbox.
I agree with all your points about mailing lists, but
it's a wider discussion about how we communicate
across gnome -- it's out of the scope of this list so
you'll have to... subscribe to another mailing list.
And then deal with the flak, because who knows why,
but programmers seem to love mailing lists and teeth
may need to be pulled. But hey, drag them kicking and
screaming in the the 21st century age of the pull
medium.