Re: Create your own customised GNOME liveCD

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 15:33 +0200, Andreas Mueller wrote:

> I am surprised that there is ZERO communication.
Hi Andreas,

googling for "gnome livecd" gives as first hit:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLiveCd
Additionally it has even been featured on planet.gnome.org and Luis
Villa is quite talkative and has a large audience. And in the last days
there has even been on the front page of www.gnome.org a link straight
to the gnome marketing efforts with a link to the live cd's. See too:
http://torrent.gnome.org/

> We're ( Gnome e.V. and
> some other distro's working ATM on a 2.11.5 ) I posted the master
> roadmap to the gnome-ev maillinglist.

I couldn't find any gnome-ev mailing list and neither did google help
me :(  Do you have a URL pointing to it?

As stated on the german gnome website
( http://www.gnome-ev.de/index.php/GNOME_LiveCD ):
"I would prefer this work/documentation to be done as part of the
regular GNOME and Ubuntu LiveCD projects, unless there is some reason
not to cooperate. MurrayCumming." And Murray had contacted me before
LinuxTag but then decided to go for Ubuntu. Thus he definitly knows.

> In short, it will be a WEB-GUI
> where user can click _and_ customize his CD himself in a very very easy
> way ...

I think it is overkill to rewrite the cloop tools. Currently they do
everything in RAM and thus you need for everybody using a web interface
700MB of free memory. Plus: on an AMD-XP2600 it takes 30 minutes to
generate a new CD. I guess you have found the ultimate way to slashdot
even the top500 super computers ;-)

Next problem you run into is the i18n. It works easy with the main
languages but there are lots of caveats with less widespread languages.

However feel free to use what is already there.

Marcus