Re: GNOME's Target Markets

> creating the future

i liked this one the most; i think it could be incredibly powerful to
attract those cool hackers we were talking about.

i'm thinking something like "come build the future with us", with some
short explanation of the slogan ("come ... with us" meaning this is
built by a community, and "the future" meaning major distros
-especially enterprise distros- are standardizing on gnome...
something we're not advertising enough, imho).

> For now, what do we have that's simple and
> cool, that they can't get on Windows?
> - Workspaces?
> - etc

i think we shouldn't focus on what they can't get on windows, but on
what they DON'T get on windows.  and that's another thing that we're
not advertising enough.

i mean read a pdf, burn a cd, open all  kinds of archives, edit
images, download things via bittorrent, log on to any instant
messenger network, manage huge musical collections, open text
documents and spreadsheets, and browse the web securely... simple
day-to-day things you CAN do with windows, but only after downloading
and installing (and regularly updating) about 15 programs, which btw
are poorly integrated with the desktop.

"on the other hand, a plain out-of-the-box gnome installation can do
this and much more"... sounds appealing, doesn't it?

and there's one thing they CAN'T do on windows: forget about viruses,
spyware, trojans, worms, etc... gnome "is built on a secure foundation
[linux]" (i like my catchphrase :P), and that shows: we format and
reinstall when the world ends or something like that, not twice a year
 ;)

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra