RE: GNOME's Target Markets

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 22:55 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > How many of the people we want to target actually know what an
> > "operating system" or a GUI or a "desktop shell" is?
>
> On their level, it's a computer. A cool, friendly, beautiful computer that
> makes life good. They need computers that have GNOME. They don't need to
> explain what a desktop is to their friends as long as they explain that
> they have a computer with GNOME and they should too.
>
> It's almost as hard to explain what a computer is. But we don't need to.

Totally agree, and reminds me of a quote.
"If you have to explain it, you've already lost"

The primary thing i miss on the gnome.org main page is visual content.
If i look at apple.com or microsoft.com the first thing i see are
visuals of there products.

Now the gnome.org page doesn't really lend itself to such visuals i
think, but the "GNOME 2.12 is released!" part misses visual content.

a link to a non-prerelease version of davyds
http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-12/ page with less tech terms.
would be perfect for new interested users to get excited about trying
out GNOME.
And a "try it out yourself" link on the bottom of such a page towards
the live-cd page would be a great impulse for people to try out that
good looking desktop.

--
Erik Snoeijs <stratos stratos-online nl>