Re: [Libxmlplusplus-general] Status

Murray Cumming wrote:

My point was that, while lacking a lot of features, libxml++ before my
initial patch was consistent in the way it worked. My patch changed the perspective of what an xmlpp::Node actually is (for example),

No patch should introduce regressions.
Could you explain more? I thought you just changed the implementation
without changing the API?

yes and no. The API didn't change, but semantics did. With my patch
the document (a libxml2 antity) is the owner of all xmlpp::Nodes (incl.
Attributes), so we must not allow anybody to create any of these objects
directly.

The Node constructor/destructors are called by libxml2 when the corresponding xmlNode, xmlAttr, etc. objects are created/destroyed,
meaning the implementation (xmlNode) owns its own wrapper (xmlpp::Node).

all we need to do is branch from the version just before the patch, and declare that branch to be the 'stable 1.0' branch. No need to reapply
anything.

I liked your patch.

Ok. Then please consider the SaxParser API change, and possibly others
that make public construction of xmlpp::Nodes (, Attributes, ...)
impossible.

Stefan