Re: las-gnome press travel funding

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 8:58 PM meg ford <megford gnome org> wrote:
Hi,
On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 3:17 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018, 12:59 PM meg ford <megford gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 6:14 AM Ekaterina Gerasimova via las-gnome <las-gnome gnome org> wrote:
On 18 July 2018 at 23:06, Rosanna Yuen <zana gnome org> wrote:
> I'm all for sponsoring speaker travel first. If we need to sponsor speakers
> to get them there, that's a higher priority than having press as otherwise
> there would be nothing for the press to cover.

Is the travel sponsorship not being handled by the TC?

When I was on the TC, the committee did indeed sponsor press people
and speakers, and prioritised them appropriately.

I asked in the irc channel and the response was that speakers will only be sponsored if they are Keynotes or foundation members.

We should revisit that.  Press is going to be an important part of both fundraising and conference popularity going forward.  We need people to write about GNOME, GUADEC and LAS going forward.  Dissemination of information is key.

I agree with Rosanna here. Last time we had a hard time getting enough talks, and this year it's starting to look like we're facing the same situation. I think we should prioritize speaker sponsorship over press until we're attracting more speaker interest.

Hey Meg - my comments were more along the lines of general strategic direction.  Prioritizing speakers is fine, but we should still fund the press going forward... at least one per conference as a general guideline.

sri

Meg

Sri

Meg