Re: [jokosher-devel] Autopackage of Jokosher

On 1/4/07, Stuart Langridge <sil kryogenix org> wrote:
> If Ubuntu (or another distro) has this problem where they ship GStreamer,
> but miss an important plugin, the best solution is probably to ship
> the entirety of GStreamer, which I'd really like to avoid.

I agree with avoiding that. Ubuntu's packages don't miss the plugins we
require, *if you have all the Ubuntu GStreamer packages installed*. The
problem is that a default Ubuntu installation won't have them all
installed (-plugins-ugly, for example, is problematic for
redistribution), and I imagine that other distros are the same.
Ahh, OK. That's a little bit better... I was thinking you were saying
that (for example) the gstreamer-plugins-good package didn't include
something important like ladspa. Since it's just whole packages, I
think it'll be OK because I am autopackaging GStreamer for distros
like Slackware. Autopackage will automatically install the needed
plugin packages if they're not already installed. apt will
automatically overwrite them anyway.

The only stuff I'm not going to package is dbus and hal, I'm pretty sure.

Questions:
How does GStreamer locate its plugins? Does it just look in the prefix
it was compiled for?

How can I change the prefix that setup.py installs Jokosher into?

This stuff probably /is/ documented somewhere, but I can't find it.
Can you point me to the page if it exists? Thanks.

Cheers,
--
Taj
http://www.wildgardenseed.com/Taj/blog