Re: [jokosher-devel] Autopackage of Jokosher

On 1/3/07, Laszlo Pandy <laszlok2 gmail com> wrote:
Actually the version of Gstreamer we need was released a few weeks ago.
It is now packaged and available in Ubuntu Feisty and Arch Linux.
Great!

The deps for 0.1 are different from those for 0.2. We no longer require
python-alsaaudio. Here is the full list for 0.2:

[snip]
Thanks for the list, it'll make it a lot easier for me! I'm making my
way through GStreamer and its plugins and deps at the moment. Is it a
problem if GStreamer is missing any of these plugins:
gnomevfs
monoscope
1394
cdio
gconfelements
halelements
ladspa
speex
sunaudio
v4l2src
Will it Jokosher not run if any of those are missing... Will it work
better if they're present? Does Jokosher require DBUS and HAL as well?

And of course Gstreamer 0.10.11

Jokosher will probably work with any greater version, especially
compatible versions like Python 2.5. However all the versions listed
above are the ones that I have personally tested Jokosher with.

Also note that for Gstreamer packages, the versions listed are the
absolute minimum and the higher the version number the better. If a new
Gstreamer gets released, the package should use it as soon as possible.
The Jokosher autopackage will install whatever the latest, compatible,
autopackaged up version of GStreamer is available if it needs to
install GStreamer. If a compatible GStreamer is already installed,
it'll leave it alone unless you remove it manually.

Does this include python-gst? I don't know much about how ABI works, but
if you ship a custom python-gst would it still work with the system's
version of gstreamer? Also, will you include gstreamer in the
autopackage since most distros don't have the version we need packaged yet?
Yes, it includes python-gst. However, this only affects the Python
part of python-gst, so the GStreamer part should work fine regardless
of what version of GStreamer it was compiled against (within the same
interface version, e.g., 0.8, 0.10, etc). I'm planing on creating a
separate Autopackage of GStreamer (and its plugins). These packages
will only be installed if the system doesn't have the correct version
installed.

The last thing I wanted to comment on is the difficulty with Suse. It is
currently the only distro we know of that doesn't work with our
distutils-based install script. This is because Suse doesn't have
python-gst and it doesn't come in any of the default repositories as far
  as I can tell. Am I right that the magic of Autopackage will make this
problem disappear and bless Suse with the awesomeness of Jokosher?
It should. Any distro without GStreamer (read: Slackware), GStreamer's
python bindings, or any of its other dependencies should "just work."

Cheers,
Taj

--
http://www.wildgardenseed.com/Taj/blog