Re: [jokosher-devel] Moving icons

Hello Chris,

Am Dienstag, den 26.09.2006, 14:06 +0100 schrieb Chris Brown:
> I imagine its still there. This is for fedora however. My concerns
> (which I expressed in reply to that original mail) were that I could
> not see a way in which uninstallation was catered for. I'm also a
> little hesitant (perhaps unecessarily) at running a setup script as
> root without knowing exactly what the whole thing does. Its looks fine
> but will need to be maintained and I dont think its the right method
> for installing an app as essentially its defining a new method of
> software installation, no?

the process of building the package in Ubuntu/Debian and maybe even in
the .rpm world makes use of the setup.py (to install files into the
package). You're right, the package manager (dpkg for Debian/Ubuntu) and
rpm do take care of the de-installation.

Whoever uses it to install as root should know what he/she does -
distutils is used in a lot of other Python projects in exactly the same
way.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel